Thursday, January 7, 2010

PETA's Star-Studded Pseudo Event

In PR class this term, we are discussing pseudo events and how they work. A pseudo event is an event that is created to bring awareness to something- an issue, organization, band, product, etc. Our goal for today's class was to google a psuedo event (that's not a fundraiser) and blog about it.

Here we go, PETA to the rescue!

In summary, PETA has an annual celebrity thanksgiving, held at a PETA member's house.I'm guessing from the pictures it was at Ingrid Newkirk's place (PETA president and cofounder). On November 13th, stars such as Alicia Silverstone, Casey Affleck, Emily Deschanel, Simpson's producer Sam Simon, Kevin Nealon, James Cromwell, Diane Warren, and host for the evening CSI's Jorja Fox gathered for a cruelty-free vegan dinner in L.A.

This is obviously deemed a pseudo event, because like-minded celebrities who support PETA got together to share the veggie thanksgiving. Another star guest was Tom the turkey, whom apparently cuddled up with Silverstone and Fox. 

I think this is a great event, because who better to shine light on an organization than celebrities? Using their popularity for a good cause is refreshing. It's interesting to know what famous people are vegetarians as well. PETA has done oodles of events using celebrities, however. I wonder just how much of an impact they have made over the years?

One of PETA's bloggers wrote about the event (the writer did not attend). They include pictures and the dinner menu. It sounds really tasty! Here's a link. Don't forget to check out the video posted about the celebritie's experience at the dinner and their thoughts on thanksgiving.

This topic relates well to one of my new year's resolutions. I wanted to go vegetarian (again) for a while now. This month my roommate and I decided we would start eating meat-free on the 17th for 30 days. In honour of "Pledge to Be Veg for 30 days" with PETA. My roommate wants to go to The Keg to "celebrate" on the 31st day. I'm not so sure I will join her, depending how the month goes. I've been grappling with this for years now, so maybe it's about time I stuck to what I really believe in. Eating animals is really sad.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. The principle of familiarity and trust is alive and well at PETA! Great example. And good luck with your veg/vegan campaign - just don't kiss any turkeys. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete