Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day 2010: The Cove

Happy Earth Day everyone!
Today marks the 40th anniversary of Earth Day, and what a beautiful day it has been. When I got home from writing two exams, I sat down to watch Oprah, which I never have time to do anymore, but alas, it is the beauty of summer approaching!

On today's show Oprah had an Earth Day special where she had the filmmakers of The Cove, an expose documentary about the slaughtering of dolphins in Japan. Previous to watching Oprah I've read an article about actress Hayden Panettiere swimming with dolphins for the documentary. She's also in this PSA.

 I haven't seen The Cove yet, but I can only imagine the amount of anger and heartbreak I'll feel when I do. I think there's an activist in all of us. Today inspires me to take action about the causes I care about. I wish more people would take Earth Day seriously, and for that matter, realize that the environment is our home and we should stop disrespecting it on a daily basis. I know it's an ongoing battle if you actually try to do your best, and it feels like you're only one 'drop in the bucket' so to speak, but really, doing something is better than nothing at all. We've all heard it before.

Do you guys have any Earth Day Committments? I've compiled this list:
-Always bring a coffee tumbler for tea on the go
-Start composting at home (finally)
-Start a recycling program at work (for everything we don't recycle but should)
-Try to buy only earth-friendly cleaning and cosmetic products
-Bring re-usable bags out shopping (I have to start remembering them!)
-Power down computer every night instead of keeping it on
-De-clutter my room and bring what I don't want to Salvation Army or Value Village. 

I hope everyone else is inspired to take action today. Always remember, "you must be the change you wish to see in the world"- Gandhi



No comments:

Post a Comment