Friday, March 26, 2010

Possible laptop program in CreComm?

Today in EP class, we were directed by Tracy to fill out a college survey for Creative Communications to address the possibility of a laptop program for CreComm students.

It sounds like a great idea at first. A brand spankin' new Apple Macbook Pro, including ALL the crazy software we use everyday- InDesign, Photoshop and Final Cut Pro. However, I think some of the conditions and the price is questionable. To finance the laptop during the school year is about $2800, plus $691 if you want to bring it home over the summer. To buy it out and actually own it, is another $1000. I say it's cheaper to buy a laptop elsewhere and add the software yourself. However, for those who want to finance I guess it's a good idea.

When I first heard the idea I was excited, but of course the program won't be implemented until after we graduate. I'm currently using an outdated Acer Travelmate. It's so horrible. I bought the cheapest thing I could find at Futureshop 4 years ago and now I'm paying the price. It's battery power is non-existent, if I don't have my computer plugged in at all times, it will shut off within about 1o to 15 minutes of use. It also overheats and will shut off randomly, which is beyond inconvenient. I also have to deal with how slow it actually is, and how many viruses I'm sure I've accumulated over the years. It's lucky I haven't dropped it or lost it thus far. I guess it takes after me in that it's still surviving after everything it's been through.

Either way, it's high time to retire the old faithful and upgrade to an amazing Macbook! I really want the same one that Carrie uses in the Sex and the City movie- a 17 inch Macbook Pro. It's a bit pricey, so I think I'd settle for a 13 or 15 inch. I just love the style of a Mac, the feel of it, and how it has yet to have any major problems associated with it. It really is the industry standard and I need to "get with the times" if you will.

I'm also a huge fan of the new apple mouse, it's COOL!

Peace out!

No comments:

Post a Comment