Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cyclists vs. Bus Drivers

On my way to work the other day, I was sitting on the 20, the bus was in front of Polo Park, and out of nowhere came a cyclist, who the driver almost ran down. The driver ranted about how he knew the cyclist would do 'something like that', the something I'm not sure of because I barely noticed the cyclist until the driver was honking like crazy at him. This all happened the same day that the diamond lanes were just put in.

I've always felt really bad for cyclists in this city. The buses sometimes think they own the road, and I've seen them drive like they don't care about anyone else around them. I've read stories about people getting run over and being seriously injured, but yet it doesn't seem like the problem is being fixed. I really wish the city would get on the whole separate bike bath idea, we really need it. It'd be nice if I didn't have to witness another cyclist flipping off the bus driver when he honks at him for being in the way.

During my Environmental Ethics class last year, we had to do a research project on a sustainable city plan, and one group did the bike path idea, and they used examples from other cities like Copenhagen as inspiration for our city. Everybody seemed to ride a bike in the city, the streets seemed more peaceful and at ease than everywhere else.

That's all we're asking for right? A little peace and understanding? Respect your fellow cyclists, bus drivers. After all, you are both a form of sustainable transportation in your own right.

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes, I can't stand cyclists. They want to be treated like regular traffic, yet they are go through red lights, don't stop at stop signs, they make a left turn from the middle lane..I can't stand it. If cyclists would obey the rules of the road, i'd be fine. But they are unpredictable which is what makes them get in to accidents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, when it's rush hour traffic on Pembina Highway and there's a cyclist in the far right lane and going about 20 km's, that doesn't make anybody happy. Let alone the bus drivers who have to wait for the next lane to open up just so they can pass them. A great solution for the city would be to just put the bike lanes on busier streets so heavy traffic isn't held up too much by the cyclists.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think cyclists belong on the sidewalk. I was hit by a cyclist going full-tilt on a sidewalk when I was 5 years old. The result? I had a scraped knee. Everyone walked away.

    The same can't always be said if a car and a cyclist collide, or worse, if a bus and a cyclist collide.

    Cyclists act unpredictably on roadways, it's very true. Their speeds also can't match those of cars, so we end up with impatient drivers who also often do unpredictable and dangerous things to try to pass the cyclists.

    City planners, let's group similar modes of transportation together. Anything that can't go over 20 km/hr while protecting its driver with a hull of plastic and metal, does not belong on the same thoroughfare as anything that can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Great comments guys. The sidewalk seems much more safe.

    ReplyDelete