Friday, November 20, 2009

Movie Premieres: Are they worth the wait?

Lastnight I went to the New Moon premiere at Silver City Polo Park. The movie's start time was 10 pm. I've never been to a movie premiere, and I don't think I'll ever go to one again.

 My roommate (who got me a ticket), her friend and I got to Silver City at just after 6 pm.  That's a whole four hours until the big show. When my roommate (and self-professed Twi-hard) told me we were going early, I figured we'd get there around 8:30-9 pm. No, it appears when we got there, a line for the line up had just begun to form. We weren't allowed to line up in front of the ticket taker, or anywhere in the carpeted area. So two separate lines started to form around 6:30 pm right before the entrance to the theatre area. As we stood there, a lady from the other line asked us if were waiting for New Moon. No lady, we're just standing here because we can. She said the line was starting on her side. Sorry, we were not going to stand behind her, so we just formed our own line. I hate lines. And waiting. And waiting in line!

Right before 7 pm finally rolled around, a manager told us we could line up single file, no running, to hand in our tickets and get in the "real" line right in front of the theatre. Silver City was only using two theatres, one on either side for the screening. While I was rushing to get my ticket ripped, I ended up dropping it among all of the frenzied people. I was freaking out! No way was I going to let my ticket get trampled by all these crazies. As if anyone wasn't running. Someone actually pushed me out of the way while I tried to hand it to the ticket taker, after she saw me finally grab my ticket off the floor between all the madness. We still managed to get ahead of her in line. Second among everyone else, might I add. Hey, If I was gonna do it, I'm doing it right.

So there we were, standing in the real line waiting to get into our seats. Zombieland was playing during our waiting game, where we could hear explosions and a Nickelback song playing. Another rule about the line was that we weren't allowed to sit down. Not at all, unless you were pregnant like the girl in front of us. I think last night was the only time I wished I was with child. I thought to myself, Taylor Lautner with out his shirt had better be worth this ridiculousness. For the record, he was. Much better than Rob Pattinson!

Standing there for about 3 hours was pain enough, but then right before they let us in at 8:30 pm, my rommates friend wiped out in front of the theatre doors where someone spilled a drink. Everybody would've just trampled her to get to their seats, but luckily a big beefy guy was right behind us and he stopped the line while she got back up. You will not find very many civilized people doing a movie premiere. Thank goodness for that guy.

At the beginning, I felt like such a loser being one of the 500-ish people waiting to see this movie. But by the time I got to my seat, I was starting to get excited. There was about another hour of sitting and waiting. Luckily, I brought a book a long, and they were handing out Famous magazine while we stood so devotedly in line. After getting drinks and popcorn, and taking our last bathroom break, we all settled in before the trailers began. Everyone cheered as soon as the lights went down. I guess a cool part of the whole thing was being able to witness the hysteria. It wasn't actually as bad as I had imagined. And I didn't notice as many young screaming teenage girls as I would've thought.

In my opinion, I would've been fine waiting until a later date to watch this movie. It was not worth an entire evening standing in line, ovehearing stupid conversations, dealing with smelly people, and rude attitudes. Compared to Twilight, I felt it was better in terms of more action, but the special effects were kind of phony, though  the cast did look a lot better than before- better hair, wardrobe, set. I found out my roommate and I have the same Ikea lamp as Bella has in her bedroom. That was kind of neat. I also wouldn't have spent so much money on food had I been there for a shorter period of time. Pizza and a drink from Pizzahut cost $8.35. Then a small popcorn cost $5. Plus the box of whoppers ($1.66) from Shoppers I grabbed on the way, and a grande toffee nut white mocha ($3.49) from Starbucks for the walk over from Polo. About $20 in food and snacks, then another $10 for the ticket. To me, that's kind of expensive, considering I'm used to paying $5 on cheap night for a movie then about $4 for popcorn and drink at the Cinema Centre in Portage. The experience to me, was not worth the inflated prices.

Over all, the main reasons for me to waste an evening standing in line was to:
-Ogle hot guys with out shirts
-See if New Moon was better than Twilight
-Witness an unrealistic love story, with an awesome ending!

2 comments:

  1. Men without Shirts - my favorite 80s band!

    I'm getting sick of seeing that wolf transformation scene on TV. And, yeah, it does look really fake - like he's turning into Bullwinkle or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went and saw twilight in the afternoon on the wed after it came out. best move i could have made in my opinion. I wrote my own 'non- smart people' review on my blog. I found it really funny.

    ReplyDelete