Monday, September 12, 2011

student life means living on the cheap

You know you're a university or college student when your bank account reads less than your age... I'm almost 23. Yippee for Ramen noodles and cheap pizza days! Today is Monday Madness at Pizza Hotline, pepperoni and red pepper anyone? It was an interesting choice...

Being in university again is great, I love being in class and seeing all my friends again and being in a cultured city with a lot to do. However I don't always have money to do the things I want. Luckily I just won concert tix to see Avril Lavigne. No paying for me! Other than that though, things can get pretty pricey when you live in a big city.

Public transportation alone is about $60 a month if you're a student. It's about $80 if you're not. I got it pretty lucky this year with two other roommates so rent is a bit cheaper, but tuition is still sky high, and of course I'm relying again on student loans. I haven't heard from them in almost two months, I really should get in contact. Something about phoning them scares me a little though, I don't want them to reject me! Just give me what I need. I promise I'm almost done!

In the mean time, here I am, on year 4 of my academic journey? Actually, it might even be 5... That really is sad when I'll only come out of this with a 3-year degree. *sigh* Maybe I should upgrade to a 4-year B.A.?

Anyway, how can I keep myself entertained on the cheap but still have a good time? Luckily I'm a lightweight when it comes to drinking...but we don't always have to drink to have a good time do we?

This past weekend I went on a road trip to Kenora with my cousin John. I only had to pay for my lunch! I guess it's good when you have relatives with vehicles who have that adventurous bone in their body. We also had a BBQ in the park this weekend with some other family members. It was a good time outside. Great burgers and corn on the grill. Yummie! I guess it doesn't take much to keep me satisfied.

Another good part about being a student is there are always socials and events happening around campus. I haven't been to one yet but I'm sure there will be one soon. It's a great way to meet people also. Cover charge is usually free with a student card and drinks are always under 5 dollars.

Another way to get some student deals is with a student price card (SPC). You can get discounts on most stores and also travel deals through Greyhound. I don't mind that going home only costs me about $14. In case anything major happens, that's good to know. I should probably go get my SPC then...

If you were lucky enough to score a job at a coffee shop like I did (I have yet to hear back from them this year) then you get amazing discounts on coffee, which really comes in handy when you're in the middle of an all nighter with ten pages due the next morning. Starbucks is awesome! 30% off everything, can't go wrong with cheap java! I really hope they call me soon!

Thrift Stores! What more can I say? I love a good deal on just about anything. MCC or Value Village are both good places to get stuff dirt cheap. I'm pretty sure they both give 10% off for being a student. Gotta love the perks! Life is going to suck once I graduate... maybe I'll end up being a coupon clipper?

Don't buy new electronics. Just keep using the really worn down slow-as-molasses laptop that you've had since you started uni. At least I'm saving a good chunk of change not being able to afford a new one. Oh how I wish I could! Old faithful is becoming unreliable these days...

Try to buy used textbooks. They are so expensive sometimes, it's really not worth it depending on how much you actually use the book. I'm hoping mine aren't too bad. I haven't actually went to the bookstore yet... Maybe I'll have to do Amazon this year. I hear they have good deals too.

If you're trying to stay in shape, being a student couldn't be more of a Godsend. At the U of W the fitness fee is included in our tuition at only $35/year. If that doesn't persuade anyone to hit the gym I don't know what will. I intend to take advantage. It's really now or never. Who's with me? I need a gym buddy! Pretty soon my life will be all about the GTL...Though I did just realize that the Fabutan down the street is no longer there. Perhaps I'll just have to stay pasty-pretty, I never really was big into the tanning scene anyway. So eff you Jersey Shore!

That's about all I can think of to save money. If you have any more advice please comment! My posts are so lonely!

I hope everyone has a fantastic week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment