Thursday, September 24, 2009

Piercings, Sex-slave trade, and the Nazis?

So, I was taking an eleven down to Polo Park today to meet my mom, and I'm sitting at the front of the bus, across from this woman sitting next to an old lady. Immediately I hear her talking to the old woman, and she says "That's how you know people aren't doctors, they have piercings." What? And the thing is, there was a lady with her nose pierced standing right in front of her with her baby in a stroller. I thought this was the weirdest conversation, and yes it gets worse. She continued on about the piercings saying something about how doctors can't have piercings because its their "protective layer" and blah blah. Then the old woman asked her if she herself were a doctor, and she repeated her question back to her, then said something about being a medical professional or researcher. I wasn't too sure, the bus was very crowded and noisy. But I could still hear them.

Then the woman continues her conversation except it turns into something about Nazis and the Jews and "the bible says Jesus was the only one who died for our sins." Either way, I had no idea WHY this conversation was taking place, all I know is that it was, and I thought it was very strange, because the two women did not know each other whatsoever. Before the medical lady strangely disappeared, she was muttering something about relationships and how she doesn't want to marry anyone with secrets. What kind of secrets I wonder? Like, I have a gigantic criminal record and was in jail 7 times? Or, you're actually my 3rd wife? What a day, what a bus ride.

Other than this odd conversation, the baby sitting in front of the chatterbox was holding an Itunes Pick of the Week for Starbucks. I thought to myself, "Way to start 'em off young!" She seemed like a very hip, hippy-ish mother. I envied her a little. Way to represent, baby! By the way, the Pick of the Week was I and Love and You by The Avett Brothers


Pretty good tune.

Au Revoir!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes you can get into really interesting conversations with strangers on the bus, while other times you just wish the crazy person would turn their attention elsewhere, and you just have to awkwardly nod and try to look away. It's really a mixed bag.

    It's funny comparing downtown bus stories with those of my boyfriend, who rides from the suburbs to the U of M--- completely different bus atmosphere. While I'm telling him about people screaming at the bus driver, chanting to themselves, and conversations such as the one you described, he explained the typical suburban bus ride: a bunch of teenage girls with ipods and designer purses on their laps, staring silently straight ahead. What a different world! I'm really glad to engage in the downtown bus experience-- it provides so much inspiration for a writer!

    ReplyDelete